Opportunity for an experienced transactional attorney to join the Contracts, Licensing & Environmental group in an energetic Law Department with a collaborative culture. The position will focus on supply chain transactions, non-disclosure agreements, technology agreements, energy efficiency program agreements, and transactions supporting various strategic initiatives, with cross functional exposure to many different aspects of the utility industry.
The ideal candidate will be self-directed and flexible, working well individually and with multiple cross functional teams and enthusiastic about learning new things and contributing to the growth of the department and the organization as a whole. Willingness and ability to learn is as important as prior expertise. Responsibilities
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Work with senior management to develop a deeper knowledge and understanding of NYPA business operations to provide legal advice, research and support.
- Research recent changes in law, rules and regulations related to NYPA.
- Conduct legal research, analyze and draft legal opinions and briefs.
- Attend meetings with supervisors which supervisors, that they support or w/in legal and provide support and counsel relative to key issues.
- Handle cases on behalf of NYPA with supervisory review in judicial or other administrative forums.
- Interact with clients to develop and implement strategies that further NYPA business activities.
Education, Experience and Certifications
- Ability to conduct legal research and critically analyze case law and statutes
- Ability to draft legal opinions and briefs
- Ability to maintain professional, courteous and positive relations with clients
- Demonstrate ability to handle cases independently
- Good case management and time management skills
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Experience and knowledge of the Authority's structure and policies
- Ability to work with all levels of the organization.
- Must be detail and multi-task oriented
- Ability to manage sensitive and confidential information with discretion.
- Juris Doctor Degree, admission to the New York State Bar and admitted to practice in New York State and Federal courts
- At least 5 years of legal experience
- Experience in one or more of the following areas: of law relevant to NYPA, such as energy, regulatory, litigation, commercial and finance, and employment.
- Experience in utility industry preferred
- Approximately 25% travel primarily within NY State
The New York Power Authority is an Equal Opportunity Employer New York is Powered by You
We are a team of over 1,900 energy technologists, IT specialists, business experts, hydro engineers, and other professionals leading the energy revolution. With state-of-the-art technology, advanced R&D, and a modernized infrastructure, we provide New Yorkers with low-cost, clean, reliable power - and we are well on the way to becoming the first fully digital utility in the country. At NYPA, you will be empowered to think big, do good, and transform the energy industry.NYPA on Forbes "Best of" - again!
NYPA is ranked by Forbes as one of America's best midsize employers for 2022 for the fourth consecutive year! Browse today and apply.