Liberty Renewables is seeking a candidate to fill a Project Developer role to assist in the development of various wind energy projects across NY State. This is a full-time position preferably based in upstate NY, but we are open to alternative remote work locations in the US Northeast or Eastern Canada depending on the successful candidate's qualifications. This Project Developer role will primarily focus on managing all aspects of Project Development for our project portfolio in NY, working alongside our current development team.
- Manage new project sitefinding programs in conjunction with existing staff and 3rd party consultants.
- Understand strategies for minimizing project risk during the site selection process as it relates to interconnection, wind resource, and environmental impact.
- Negotiate land security contracts and manage land agents for prospective new sites
- Conduct site visits with prospective landowners to accelerate lease execution where needed
- Apply knowledge from the sitefinding process to actively manage lease and easement acquisition, and pivoting acquisition strategies as the site develops
- Understand the sequencing of land acquisition as it relates to other development milestones (interconnection, permitting, wind resource etc.)
- Manage lease revisions and maintain a knowledge of real property processes in New York State.
- Manage key stakeholder relationships and all public facing activities relating to project development.
- Secure, build, and maintain relationships with all key project stakeholders including landowners, local government officials, state regulators, and host community members.
- Present project summaries to local town officials, economic development groups, IDA's, Rotary clubs, and other key stakeholder groups.
- Attend after hours town board and planning board meetings in project host communities.
- Attend local community events and be present in project host communities
- Work alongside internal and external third-party electrical engineers and contractors to progress project interconnection applications.
- Maintain an understanding of the NYISO interconnection process and transmission manual.
- Maintain ongoing project risk assessments as it relates to grid competition and capacity.
Energy Resource Assessment
- Coordinate energy resource assessments utilizing internal and external third-party engineers.
- Coordinate on-site installations of wind energy measurement equipment such as LiDARs, SoDARs and meteorological masts
- Manage the local, state, and federal permitting process in close cooperation with the existing Liberty Renewables development team.
- Manage 3rd party consultants to support environmental permitting
- Understand New York's S. 94-c permitting process as well as the local SEQRA permitting process for smaller generation sites
Other Renewable Energy Development Activities
- Draft & compile power contract RFP submissions
- Assist in business development activities.
- Work with construction teams on project pre-construction activities
Education, experience and requirements
- The candidate must have 3 years of direct experience in renewable energy development, with specific past experience working for a renewable energy project developer or relevant industry group.
- The ideal candidate must have a passion for renewable energy and lowering the carbon footprint of the energy sector.
- The ideal candidate must be setup to work from a home office or 3rd party co-workspace.
- The ideal candidate must have excellent verbal, interpersonal and written communication skills and be self-motivated.
- Experience with ArcGIS and Google Earth software's considered an asset.
- Experience developing renewable energy projects in the New York State considered a strong asset
- Must possess valid driver's licence and be willing to travel throughout the US northeast
- Occasional travel to Liberty Renewables parent company offices in Canada will be required.
- Competitive salary based on experience, and competitive benefits package.
How to Apply
Send cover letter & resume addressed to opportunities@ with subject title "Project Developer".
Liberty Renewables, and its parent companies Natural Forces & ProWind Renewables provide equal opportunity for employment and advancement. We celebrate diversity and commit to an inclusive environment where all voices are valued and heard. We strive to make an equitable organization for our staff, stakeholders, and partners.