POSITION: Custodian/Driver (DN9R9103 / DN7Q0001)
DEPARTMENT: (100 Corps and Community Center) / Chico Corps
LOCATION: Chico, CA
SUPERVISOR: Corps Officer, Lieutenant Jeffrey Boyd
STATUS: Non-Exempt / Full-Time
The Salvation Army Mission Statement
The Salvation Army, an international movement, is an evangelical part of the universal Christian Church. Its message is based on the Bible. Its ministry is motivated by the love for God. Its mission is to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ and to meet human needs in His name without discrimination.
The purpose of this position is to keep the Corps building clean and orderly. Additionally, this position is responsible to transport passengers to or from Salvation Army programs, assist in food pickups for the food bank, and drive for our seasonal events.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Dusts, sweeps, mops, scrubs, and vacuums hallways and
- Cleans and disinfects bathrooms; replenishes supplies as
- Cleans windows, walls and furniture.
- Replaces air conditioner filters.
- Keeps inventory of all janitorial supplies.
- Empties trash and garbage containers.
- Maintains building, performing minor and routine painting and other related maintenance activities.
- Notifies management concerning need for major repairs or additions to lighting, heating, and ventilating equipment.
- Reports sanitary and safety hazards and the need for repairs to supervisor.
- Cleans debris from sidewalk, parking lots and yards.
- Moves furniture, supplies and equipment as required
- Performs routine security tasks as necessary (e.g. Turns lights off, locks doors, etc.).
- Reports any vandalism or theft to supervisor immediately
- Maintains the parking lot, including blowing leaves, putting gravel back in the flower beds.
- Performs basic landscaping (trim bushes, pull weeds, spay weed)
- Maintains detailed daily mileage records.
- Comfortable driving large vehicles
- Loads and unloads trucks.
- Keeps vehicles clean inside and outside.
- Inspects vehicles daily and reports necessary repairs to Fleet Manager.
- Maintains updated records of amounts of materials and items received or distributed.
- Provides transportation for Corps programs.
- Performs other related duties as assigned by supervisor.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND OTHER QUALIFICATIONS REQUIREMENTS
- High School Diploma or GED or one to three months related experience and/or training, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Working knowledge of methods of cleaning and preserving floors, walls, and fixtures.
- Working knowledge of cleaning materials, disinfectants, and equipment used in custodial work.
- Must have ability to work with people of diverse ethnic and cultural backgrounds.
- Ability to participate in appropriate training in hazardous materials handling, storage, and disposal; follow designated policy and procedures for Haz-mat identification, storage and disposal; maintain standards related to environmental compliance and personal health and safety as required.
- Ability to use cleaning materials and equipment with skill and efficiency.
- Ability to speak and write the English language.
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written directions.
- Ability to work independently and with minimal supervision.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
- Must be at least 21 years of age
- Must pass pre-employment and enroll in TSA random drug testing program as required by the Department of Transportation (DOT); and
- Complete The Salvation Armys Decision Driving course training; and
- Authorize The Salvation Army to add name to DMV Pull Notice Program list for Driving records.
- Must possess valid California Class C license with good driving record.
- PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Ability to sit, walk, stand, bend, squat, climb, kneel, and twist on an intermittent or sometimes continuous basis. Ability to grasp, push, and/or pull objects; ability to reach overhead.
- Ability to regularly lift up and/or move up to 25 lbs., frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 75 pounds.
- Must have good mobility with the ability to climb, crawl, bend and have good dexterity in regard to grasping, reaching, and handling.
- The ability to operate indoor cleaning machines (i.e., vacuum, buffer) and grounds keeping equipment (blower).
Qualified individuals must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without accommodation. A qualified person with a disability may request a modification or adjustment to the job or work environment in order to meet the physical requirements of the position. The Salvation Army will attempt to satisfy requests as long as the accommodation needed would not result in undue hardship.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractors legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)